For A E Housman
This poetic quatrain that features the four adjacent communities of Clunton and Clunbury, Clungunford and Clun comes from A E Housman’s collection A Shropshire Lad, first published in 1896.
Often attributed to Housman himself, it seems however that the lines were in fact quoted from a popular ballad of the time.
This short sequence was photographed one day in the mid 1980s, as will be seen from the cars that feature in it. The vehicles would now be very different but the landscape will hardly have changed. Perhaps the sequence needs to be re-shot with more up to date vehicles.